June 25, 2009

Jalapenos

Ok, so the other day I was reading The Pioneer Woman's blog and I saw these:


So I thought "Wow! I can make those! And I bet I can even use fat free cream cheese and turkey bacon..." I was going to Target that afternoon for a few things so I picked up three simple ingredients along with my other purchases, Jalapenos, Cream Cheese, and Turkey Bacon. I cannot tell y'all how excited I felt driving home! I was thinking "Ouuhh...my husband is going to LOVE these and they'll be (somewhat) healthy!!"

As soon as I got home I immediately started on my project. I sliced those jalapenos like nobody's business. I took my spoon and "de-seeded" them and then I proceded to fill them with cream cheese and wrap with bacon. I even took step by step pictures y'all!! I popped them in the oven for about 25 minutes at 350 and just waited with anticipation while my little cheesy poppers baked in the oven. I noticed then that my fingers were starting to burn a little while I was checking my email/facebook/ etc...(This should have clued me in...but no...) but I didn't really think anything of it.

After I took them out of the oven I decided I would go to the pool for a little while. Well, at the pool my fingers started burning with fury! And I even had them in the water!! This was only the beginning of a LONG 12 hours that were the WORST OF MY LIFE!! I literally ran home from the pool and tore my house apart looking for this spray aloe vera with lidocaine. It didn't help. So then I got a bowl with ice water. It didn't help. Nothing was helping!! The burning was the worst pain I have ever felt. All the finger tips on my left hand felt like they were on fire!! I finally googled "jalapeno skin burn" and there were 17,600 results. Ha. So after a long, long night of soaking my hand in milk, baking soda, vinegar, ice cream, cool whip, lime juice ( I tried it all) the pain FINALLY went away at 4am.

Now, I've never had kids...but I'm pretty sure this pain was worse than labor... : ) The moral of this story is WEAR GLOVES WHEN YOU CUT JALAPENOS!! You would think a Texas girl would know that...

Oh, and my little "cheesy poppers"...terrible. They are so stinkin hot you can't enjoy them and next time (if there will ever be one) I will use real bacon...ugh...

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Okay, this is too funny Kelly. I am laughing so hard. Maybe just stick with the poppers at Sonic!

Kathryn

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com